Elkeme - Hellenic Research Centre for Metals
Elkeme, Hellenic Research Centre for Metals S.A. was founded in 1999 to support the Greek metallurgical industry. Through its state of the art laboratories, it focuses on applied industrial research and the technological development of the four major metals sectors (aluminium, copper, steel and zinc). Elkeme provides R&D&I services and technical solutions for new products, and also optimizes existing products and business and plant production processes.
Elkeme technological research comprises the development of new, innovative, and high added value products, improvement of existing productions, optimisation of industrial processes to support energy and cost-efficient operations, environmental impact assessments in production units in various industrial sectors, and research into recycling, stabilisation and utilisation of by-products for companies’ sustainable development.
Elkeme’s key objective is the provision of high added value R&D&I services and technical solutions, through:
- The employment of highly capable scientists, engineers and technicians.
- Investment in human assets via continuous professional development and education.
- Adoption of a flexible “customer-focused” business model.
- State of the art cutting-edge laboratories.
- Conducting research projects in metallurgy, materials science and environmental engineering for product and process development and optimisation.
- Forging strong relationships with customers, employees and partners, together with national and international research and/or academic organizations building a “knowledge”, “competence” and “excellence” network.
Elkeme laboratories have a state-of-the-art technological infrastructure, focus on excellence and are recognized and distinguished worldwide for:
- Successful collaboration with external consulting, technical partners/organizations and Academic institutions on joint research projects and
- Participating in international contests and proficiency testing / inter-laboratory measurement schemes.
Elkeme team members participate in international scientific/engineering associations and serve as members of worldwide scientific committees and boards, such as the Hellenic Metallurgical Society (member of Federation of the European Materials Societies, FEMS), Hellaslab (member of Eurolab).and international/European bodies such as ASM International TMS (The Metals, Minerals, Materials Society), WTERT (Waste-to-Energy Research and Technology Council), TWG(Technical Working Group) of European IPPC Bureau for Non-Ferrous Metals, European Aluminium Innovation Board, ECCA (European Coil Coating Association) ,FAS (Failure Analysis Society) AIST (Association for Iron and Steel Technology) CQI (Chartered Quality Institute). They also regularly contribute to scientific journals and conferences and are invited to offer lectures at Universities and in technical meetings and seminars.
Elkeme cooperates with national and foreign Universities and regularly provides opportunities for practical training internships and the elaboration of Diploma, Master and PhD theses based on industrial projects with significant technical and economic impact. It also participates in national and EU-funded research projects in collaboration with Viohalco industries, renowned research centres and Universities.
The main departments/laboratories are the following:
- Process Metallurgy
- Physical Metallurgy and Forming
- Metallography and Electron Optics
- Mechanical Testing and Manufacturing Technology
- Surface Science and Coatings
- Manufacturing Systems and Automation
- Numerical Modeling
- Analytical Chemistry
Special focus is given in the following fields:
- Aluminium, Copper, Steel and Zinc metallurgy
- Production process operations
- Surface and Coatings Characterization
- Electrochemistry methods
- Analytical chemistry methods development
- Alloy design and process development and optimization
- Development of new metallic products
- Fracture mechanics
- Mechanical properties determination
- Industrial trials with scientific monitoring
- Simulation of pyrometallurgical, thermal, casting and forming processes
- Joining and welding
- Microstructure and crystallographic characterization
- Failure and root cause analysis
- Characterization and study of sandwich composite materials
- Industrial environmental and energy control and analysis
- Corrosion protection
- Recycling, waste stabilization and utilization of by-products
- Chemical, mineralogical and texture analysis
Elkeme is also closely cooperating with the technology centres of the Viohalco companies which monitor new market trends in order to meet customers’ expectations and fulfil their requirements.
As a continuously evolving competence and excellence centre, Elkeme management applies robust and modern Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001:2015 and ISO/IEC 17025:2017) and invests in human capital, forming strong and long term professional relationships and promoting lifelong education and training. Elkeme team members are motivated to improve their knowledge, scientific status and skillsets, and encouraged to participate in various post-graduate programs designed in cooperation and alignment with industrial companies and their needs.