Viohalco’s portfolio includes dedicated research, development and innovation (‘R&D&I’) companies and centres within its subsidiaries. These centres support sustainable growth through the development of innovative and high value-added products, efficient solutions for the optimization of industrial and business processes and the research into the environmental performance of their manufacturing plants.
At the forefront of technological developments, Viohalco companies promote on-going R&D&I, develop innovative solutions, and maintain strategic partnerships with scientific bodies, international research centres, and other pioneering companies around the world.
Viohalco companies invest in cutting edge factory lines and constantly upgrade existing lines to remain competitive in the global market. Experienced engineers enhance the performance, effectiveness and capabilities of the lines beyond manufacturers’ expectations.
Through on-going research and industrial processes technology optimization, Viohalco companies’ engineers strengthen their product portfolios with innovative solutions.
Guided by the needs of customers, the companies select and apply engineering skills and new technology to their manufacturing processes.
Viohalco’s dedicated research, development, and innovation (‘R&D&I’) companies and in-house production plant R&D&I departments focus on:
• developing new and high value added products
• providing efficient solutions to optimize business and industrial processes
• improving the efficiency and environmental performance of plants
• developing innovative applications for industry, energy, and environment (including pioneering solutions in the fields of ERP, CRM, BI, traceability and others).
Viohalco companies cooperate with scientific entities and prominent international research centres, including:
• Manchester University, UK
• IEHK, Institut für Eisenhüttenkunde, RWTH Aachen, Germany
• Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
• University of Ghent, Belgium
• European Pipeline Research Group (EPRG)
• TWI – The Welding Institute, UK
• Institut für Korrosionsschutz in Dresden, Germany
• SINTEF Energy Research, Norway
• NTUA - National Technical University of Athens, Greece
• University of Ioannina, Greece
• University of Patras, Greece
• University of Thessaly, Greece
• Technical University of Crete, Greece
• Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
• Democritus University of Thrace, Greece
• Piraeus University of Applied Sciences, Greece
• Technological Education Institute of Central Macedonia, Greece
• Technological Educational Institute of Thessaly, Greece
• NCSR Demokritos, Greece
Viohalco companies also participate in various European industrial research programs and associations:
• European Aluminium Association (EAA)
• European Copper Institute (ECI)
• International Wrought Copper Council, (IWCC)
• CEN/TC 133/EC Copper and Copper Alloys-Editing committee
• CEN/TC 133/WG1 Unwrought copper products
• CEN/TC 133/WG3 Copper tubes (installation and industrial)
• European Coil Coating Association (ECCA)
• European Aluminium Foil Association (EAFA)
• European Steel Association (EUROFER)
• European association representing metallurgical slag producers and processors (EUROSLAG)
• European Welding Association (EWA)
• Industrial by-Products Research and Development Association (EVIPAR)
• Federation of recycling and energy recovery industries and enterprises (SEPAN)
To gain new expertise in emerging technologies and keep up to date with best practice, Viohalco companies maintain long-term partnerships with global leaders, such as:
• United Aluminium Company of Japan (UACJ Corp.)
• Daido Steel Co
• Viscas Corporation
• Automatic Wire Machines Spa
• GMH Gruppe Georgsmarienhuette
Demonstrating commitment to innovation, the Viohalco companies’ technology and R&D centres have a strong track record of success, producing solutions that allow the companies to manufacture and market specialised and competitive products.
The segment’s activities are supported by three companies:
3) Praksys S.A.
The R&D&I work of the Viohalco companies’ technology departments is as follows: